Monday, April 18, 2011

Let's make some production music, shall we?

It's safe to say that it's been a good minute since my last post. I love writing, but it's just hard to get into the habit of writing in a blog. Actually it's really not. I've been studying up on how to instil habits in oneself haha is it 21, 30, 60, or 66 days for you? haha apparently you can't miss any days or it'll mess with the progression of your habit formation. Makes sense.

Anyways, enough about habits and such, let me spill myself about the music I've been working on lately. Since the last time I wrote, much has occurred. I have, a) moved into my own apartment, b) gotten a promotion at work, and c) discovered and learned more about myself than ever before. I discovered that music is literally the only line of work I'll ever be fully happy doing. No rush on when it happens; that makes it much more fun and exciting. Sure it'd be great to make some crazy money crazy early, but let's be realistic AND optimistic. Realistically, it's going to take some time for this music to do make an impact, however I'm optimistic that it WILL happen.

For a while there, from around August to December, I worked on music maybe three days. I was adjusting to life on my own, working 40-55 hours a week at work, four online classes, ect. It was definitely my most lonely period. I felt like I was trapped in a job where I had to work that much just to break even. Obviously I am and was very blessed and in no way was complaining, but that time period was tough for me because all of a sudden I go from a summer of constant music creation to having absolutely no time at all for it because of work and school. Our annual trip to Florida, which included my laptop and portable keyboard, gave me a good amount of time to get back in the rhythm of writing, and since then I've been able to get a good 15-20 hours of music writing per week. It also helped that I only had one class this semester, albeit a tough one in Statistics. Math has always been the BIGGEST thorn in my side, but if I pass this course with a C, I'll never have to take another math as long as I live, which makes me quite euphoric.

I debated whether I wanted to release music as a solo instrumental artist, and then I debated maybe doing solo music with vocals. Needless to say that wasn't a very good experiment. Then one day I got an email from this guy, Richard Pryde, a production music expert. I bought this pdf file that gave me all the ins and outs of writing production music and lots of other extremely valuable information that helped me with understanding production music. The email was great inspiration for me to give up my ego and this solo career and get into this business. I'll lose the recognition but I'll be more guaranteed to get paid within a year or two as opposed to having to spend 15 years establishing a fan base and fighting the tide of what has become a declining record label era. So since then, I've been creating pieces specifically for production music purposes, instead of thinking of it as a solo artist approach, which is kind of difficult, but it's definitely worth it I think.

Well, it was great catching up. I shall return in who knows when. Probably when you aren't thinking about it at all (what are the chances you'd be thinking about that the next time I post, I mean really...)

No comments:

Post a Comment